Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I love my grandparents.

Fox News was not on due to it being lunch time and my grandma's favorite cooking show was on instead. I was making a sandwich before leaving the house and my grandma was cooking up a soup. As my grandpa walks into the kitchen he hears this old cook lady on TV talking with a huge southern accent and dropping "Y'alls" left and right.
"Y'ALL." my grandpa said. "Y'ALL." The second time he smiled a bit more while saying it looking for a reaction. My grandma slowly turned around, probably offended somehow, responds.
"Well they wouldn't like the way you talk down there either!"
"Well, why not?" My grandpa is not going down without a fight.
"...well, because you don't talk like they do."
My grandpa pauses for effect and says, "I've never had anyone tell me they don't like the way I talk."
My grandma still stuck on the subject is walking away saying "the south is still fighting the civil war." I however notice that my grandpa is putting Rice Chex in his soup.
"Grandpa, what - what are you doing?"
He clearly states, "I'm putting cereal in my soup." He looks up and smiles at me and says, "It's easier than making toast."
We shared a small laugh, or, a chortle if you will. I soon finished my sandwich and was on my way with not a sound of Fox News Alerts to be heard, because Fox News was not on.

2 comments:

  1. I get it. Toast is a complex process that requires excessive planning. Too often can you be foiled by improper technique or inappropriate timing.

    ReplyDelete